How to fix a leaking dental handpiece?
A dental handpiece is an essential tool for dentists, but it can be frustrating if it starts to leak. Here are some steps you can take to fix a leaking dental handpiece:
- Disassemble the handpiece: Remove the bur, shank, and chuck from the handpiece.
- Inspect the O-rings: The O-rings are the most common cause of leaks in dental handpieces. Inspect the O-rings for damage or wear. If they are damaged or worn, replace them with new ones.
- Check the turbine: The turbine is the rotating part of the handpiece that drives the bur. Inspect it for any signs of damage or wear, and replace it if necessary.
- Clean the handpiece: Use a cleaning solution to clean the handpiece thoroughly, including the chuck and bur. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning.
- Lubricate the handpiece: Use a high-quality lubricant to lubricate the handpiece. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for lubrication.
- Reassemble the handpiece: Put the bur, shank, and chuck back in place and tighten them securely.
- Test the handpiece: Connect the handpiece to the air supply and test it to make sure it is no longer leaking.
If these steps do not fix the leak, it may be necessary to take the handpiece to a dental equipment repair specialist for further diagnosis and repair.
Elexadent is a supplier of NSK, Bien-Air and TKD range of high-quality dental handpieces